Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Snickerdoodles

With my two little helpers or destroyers...



As I typed the words "little helpers" I can hear the sound of toys banging together.



But today we made snickerdoodles.  You know the sugar cookies covered in a mix of cinnamon and sugar.  I'm a big fan of cinnamon.  And the reason I wanted to make these cookies was to toss in some chocolate chips to see how I liked the combo.  But I was so distracted about not letting the bowl of cinnamon and sugar fall on the floor as the girls rolled the cookie balls that I near forgot to include the chips!

So out of 2-3 dozen cookies, less than ten of them have chocolate chips.  Is there any cure for this brainlessness I have?



I didn't think so.

Oh well, I'll just have to make more and try to remember the chips.

Snickerdoodles
From:  Betty Crocker's Cooky Book

1 cup shortening (part butter or margarine)  *I used straight shortening.
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp. cream of tarter
1 tsp soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 T. sugar
2 tsp cinnamon (But if you accidentally read that as Tablespoons add a couple more T. of sugar and dump some into a shaker for your toast.  Not that I know from experience or anything.)
Chocolate Chips (optional)

PREHEAT oven to 400 degrees F.
MIX shortening, sugar and eggs thoroughly.
COMBINE flour, cream of tarter, soda and salt in a separate bowl.  Then add to egg mixture.
SHAPE dough into balls and roll in the cinnamon and sugar mixture.  Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
BAKE 8 to 10 minutes or until they have flattened out a bit.
Makes about 6 dozen cookies depending on the size of your the dough balls.



These cookies came out quite crispy.  I think the next time I might try something different to make them a bit more soft and chewy.  I'm just not exactly sure what that something is, right now.



Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment