Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Gingerbread Scones

Monday was the perfect day for scones.



It was cold, snowy and windy here.  The girls and I didn't have anywhere to go or anything planned that day.  So it was the perfect day to bake scones.



So that's what we did.



I'm a bit of a control freak, so of course they were allowed to help, but in a very limited capacity.  I did NOT want flour covering every surface in my kitchen...So I did the measuring and they dumped the ingredients into the bowl.  It worked out well.



I plopped the very sticky dough on my floured work surface and they asked, "Is that Playdoh?  Can I touch it?"  To which I laughed and said no, as visions of cleaning scone dough out of hair flashed in my head.



Eventually I'll conquer the control freak and let them become more involved assistants...But for right now, I think this was a good first step.

Gingerbread Scones
From: Grandma's Molasses

2 cups all-purpose flour
3 T. brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 c cold butter
1/3 c Grandma's Molasses
1/2 c milk
1 egg, separated
Sugar for sprinkling

In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.  Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  In a small bowl, combine the molasses, milk and egg yolk until smooth.  Stir into the flour mixture until moistened.  Turn out onto a floured surface; knead gently 6-8 times.  Pat into an 8" circle; cut into 12 wedges and place 1" apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. (I placed my scones in the freezer while the oven warmed.  A trick I learned from the King Arthur Flour.)  Beat egg white until frothy; brush over scones.  Sprinkle with sparkling sugar.  Bake at 400 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve warm.

This recipe is pretty good, but I might make some changes next time, such as adding cinnamon chips.  I think that would be a nice addition.  Or I'll substitute molasses for some of the sugar in the Harvest Pumpkin Scone recipe.



These were good but they could be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment